Sunday, 4 January 2015

Brand Loyalty: Starbucks vs. Tim Hortons

Source: complaintsoffice.com

When I think of Brand loyalty I think of Coke vs. Pepsi or Starbucks vs. Tim Hortons. In this case I am personally not that loyal to Coke, as when I'm in a restaurant and am told that they only have Pepsi, yes I pause and contemplate whether I want to go to the dark side of cola, but I most always say yes and just accept the Pepsi. When it comes to my coffee on the other hand, as a student it is like gold. Keeps me going and is an essential part of each of my days. So when it comes to deciding where to get my coffee, I am quite picky. 


Source: crasholablog.blogspot.com
Tim Hortons really doesn't cut it for me, their quality and service are so unreliable, and I have no interest in buying anything other than an everything bagel with cream cheese from them. They have tried to improve their restaurants atmosphere by adding nicer booths and some gas fireplaces at some locations, but I still don't feel at home when I am there. The only thing that Tim Hortons has over Starbucks in my opinion, is the Roll Up The Rim to Win contest. That's a weak point of mine...it's the only time I will buy anything from them. Who doesn't want to take their chances and win a prize!


Starbucks is my go to coffee location. The staff is always very kind, and the products always taste like I ordered. You won't get a burnt cup of coffee at Starbucks like you will at Tim Hortons. Not only is Starbucks the perfect location to get coffee, but it is also great for studying and meeting friends, as there are comfy chairs and a warm atmosphere. Starbucks actually works at making their locations more like a lounge in order to try to get customers to stay a while and buy multiple drinks while visiting. I've never heard anyone say "Ewww Starbucks coffee is gross", the only complaint ever is that they are expensive. But really nowadays, you really get what you pay for. If you want a quality coffee, Starbucks is your place, but if you don't care then anywhere else would do I suppose. 


Cold drinks in the Summer
Hot drinks in the Winter

In chapter 9 of Consumer behaviour we learn about brand loyalty, and so I can see that I am loyal to Starbucks as I repeatedly purchase Starbucks drinks year round, and I have always had a positive attitude towards the Starbucks brand after my visits. There is definitely no problem of brand parity with these two brands, most consumers know that they are very different, or know them as affordable vs. expensive. That is good at least, as both companies are distinguished from each other and can target different markets.


Brand loyalty is a very important for the continued success of any brand. Having repeat customers whom have a positive attitude towards the brand is the best kind of advertisement, and it's free! I always tell my friends about stuff that I liked and didn't like. Usually if one friend in a group hits on a good brand, the rest of the group will follow, and this is amazing for business. 


Brand loyalty is a powerful force, depending on if a customer thinks positively or negatively about a brand, will both have huge implications towards a brands' success or demise. I never really thought of how my coffee buying habits would affect a business, but consumers really do have the power to decide which businesses do well, and which will not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment